October 08, 2011

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favorite book of the Narnia series. Its absolutely captivating and each time I read it I look forward to it again. I actually haven't watched the movie yet because I'm afraid it will spoil it for me. This book can be read as a stand alone, but I recommend reading the other books before this to get some history on the series. For those who have never read the book before, it involves the world of Narnia, that only a few special people can get to, and is a world filled with magical creatures, talking animals, and a great lion named Aslan who is good and wise.

A year later from their last journey there in Pevensie time (and 3 years in Narnian) Lucy and Edmund find themselves falling through a painting with their incorrigible cousin Eustace into the sea of Narnia. They are picked up by none other than Prince Caspian who is on a journey to the East to find some missing lords his uncle had exiled. There is a lot to be found to the East however, and they hope eventually to come to Aslan's country. It isn't always easy, but the adventurer's know that there's is an important trip.

I like the characters in this book. Eustace starts out being a brat but then grows throughout the novel to at least likable. In comparison to his role, Lucy and Edmund actually weren't described quite as much. Caspian was better in this novel and more time was given to his character and personality. All of the side characters are very interesting as well.

This is a quick read for adults since it is geared for children. Still, it is a good book and highly appropriate for most ages (although there are a few minor curse words). There is a lot of adventure and its one of the most exciting tales in the world of Narnia. Each scene was very rich and descriptive and unique in its own way.

I think this is the best book of the series. Having read through all of them, I sometimes return to this one without reading any of the others just because I enjoy it so much.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Copyright 1952
271 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment