October 06, 2011

The Quilter's Legacy by Jennifer Chiaverini

I know I've said this before, but I think this is my favorite of the series so far. Since this story can be read as a stand-alone, I'm not going to take the time to recap the four that came before it.

Sylvia Compson has recently discovered that her deceased sister had sold her mother's treasured quilts before she died. Most specifically, there were five different quilts she was worried about. She embarks on a journey to find these quilts, and restore them to their rightful place at Elm Creek Manor.

In addition to this, she and her new fiance Andrew have to devise a way to tell his family of their engagement. They have a feeling it won't be accepted well but they hope for the best. In traveling to visit his family, they also do a cross-country search for Sylvia's mother's quilts.

During this telling of Sylvia and Andrew's adventures, it is also interspersed with the story of Sylvia's mother Eleanor. It takes us from when she was a sickly child to over twenty years later when she is a lady of Elm Creek Manor and taking in her destitute mother to live with her. During these tellings it also goes over how each of the five quilts Sylvia is looking for came into creation.

I've gotta say, I love all the regular characters in the novel. It is sweet to read about Andrew and Sylvia and the other Elm Creek Quilters. However I could happily shove Andrew's family off a cliff and be done with it. Even for a story I couldn't believe the way they acted. Denying their father happiness and a marriage to Sylvia so he might not have to take care of her if she falls ill since they're both so old. Are these people crazy!? They'd rather he be unhappy without her than happy with her and I just can't understand this reasoning. To be honest, they are complete brats when they are supposed to be grown adults with children of their own.

The writing as usual is unoffensive and greatly descriptive. I had a fun time picturing in my head what each quilt might look like. There was no quilting instruction in this book, but it was a wonderful story.

I can't wait for the next book in this series. They keep on getting better and better.

The Quilter's Legacy
Copyright 2004
310 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment