October 06, 2011

The Quilters Homecoming by Jennifer Chiaverini

Yet another book in Chiaverini's extensive quilting series. However, unlike the last book I was gushing over in the series (Circle of Quilters) this one didn't capture me as that one did. Its not that Chiaverini didn't write a good novel, its only that once again, this novel departed from the usual cast of characters and instead told a story from the past. As there are so many books in the series and they mostly can be read as a stand alone, I'm not going to describe them here, but instead just give a review on how this novel reads as a stand alone.

The story follows Elizabeth, a young woman who enjoys most her visits to Elm Creek Manor. The Manor is owned by relatives and is a successful horse farm. Here she quilts with them and enjoys the holidays. She also enjoys the company of Henry, the son of a local farmer. When he asks her to marry her and come West to California to start a new life on the farm he's bought, she says yes.

When they arrive, nothing is as it seems. The farm they bought was a sham and instead of owning it, they find themselves working for the owners. Also troubled by the farm is Rosa. It had once belonged to her family but they had to sell it many generations back when a terrible drought swept through the land. Now Rosa dwells with her unkind husband, slowly watching he children die from an unknown disease. She and Elizabeth strike up a tentative friendship and Elizabeth becomes determined to help her even though her own situation is not so good. There is much in store in the future for both of them.

While this was a quilting novel, the quilting played a very small role. Elizabeth restores a few quilts and makes mention of some wedding quilts, but that is the extent of it. This in itself was a little disappointing as I expect a good quilting story when ready a novel titled "The Quilter's Homecoming".

The writing as usual was good. Not as descriptive as it normally is, but still adequate. Her characters were nicely done and it was easy to see them as real people. They had enough flaws to be believable but not too many to make you dislike the character. Despite this, I was not really drawn to any of the characters. It might be selfish of me but I just can't bring myself to care about these characters when I enjoy the other ones so much.

I wish there would have been more quilting in this book. Since it already had the lack of my favored characters, it would have made up for my disappointment. I really enjoy the books that are in the present time more than the ones in the past. Its not that they're bad books, its just that I feel they don't fit in with the rest of the Elm Creek series. I'll continue to read the series of course, but secretly hope they get back to my favorite characters and story line.

The Quilter's Homecoming
Copyright 2007
309 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment