October 05, 2011

Escape by Carolyn Jessop

This was an extremely well written story of this remarkable woman's life. I never knew much about the Mormons or this more extreme branch. The author brought me into her world and let me experience a culture and religion very different from my own.

She starts out describing when she was a young child living with her parents. While some of what she described seemed extreme to me ,it was nothing like what was to come. From her unbelievable marriage, to the things her husband put her through, I kept expecting to get to the end of the book and discover it was fiction. It was so foreign to everything I've experienced its hard to believe its true.

Her triumph through adversity is very inspiring and hopefully made some change in those states who choose to ignore the abuse without full investigation. I hope it also inspired those who wished to leave as well.

This book also offered some background into Warren Jeffs as well who became very well known through the news. It showed yet another side of a man I can barely understand.

Before you read this book please prepare yourself to cry, cheer, and experience an entire range of emotions. You can go from one page to the next feeling angry and joyful all at the same time.

Escape
Copyright 2008
448 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment