December 11, 2011

The Last Chance Cafe by Linda Lael Miller

I'm a big fan of Linda Lael Miller. She writes great cowboy romances with likable characters and a good storyline.

This particular book sees Hallie fleeing with her two twin daughters after she realizes her ex-husband is a bad man and out to see her dead. She ends up in Primrose Creek and at the Last Chance Cafe where the friendly people there find her a place to stay and even a job while she gets on her feet and decides what to do. She is attracted to handsome rancher Chance but is constantly fearful for her and her daughters lives. She's not sure who she can trust and knows that she may have to flee again.

Hallie does the best she can in this book. She is flighty, but its too be expected since she's on the run. I do have to say that I didn't like her daughters at all. I thought they were kind of little brats instead of being cute. Not appealing at all. Chase was a good character though. He was strong and stoic but had trouble expressing himself and seemed real enough. The bad guys, weren't really that menacing even though they had the potential to be. I wasn't quite sure what to make of that considering they were the danger throughout the book.

Since this was a "on the run" type novel I was surprised to see it mainly took place in Primrose Creek. Since it wasn't that far from where she was fleeing it just seemed weird she would stop there and consider herself safe. Not very realistic I guess. But the writing was exciting and I liked the romance between Hallie and Chance. And since there was romance I should warn that there are sex scenes. But its a nice read, very good for a cold day spent inside.

I'll continue to read Miller's work as I'm always pleased with the way they turn out. She offers a good romance with some compelling characters.

The Last Chance Cafe
Copyright 2002
292 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment