May 01, 2012

Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure by Patricia Ellis Herr

**This review is part of the Amazon Vine program **

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this book. I expected to like it, it had an interesting topic after all, but bringing kids into it, well, I wasn't sure how well that was going to work.

Since her young daughter has such energy and exuberance, Trish Herr decides that perhaps climbing a mountain might be a good way to let off that energy. When she learns about the Peakbagging challenge in New Hampshire, a challenge to climb 48 mountains over 4k feet high, she thinks that just maybe her young five year old daughter can do it. And she excels at it, they quickly "bag" all peaks in a matter of two short years, and their adventures are both a learning experience and a wonderful bonding experience for mother and daughter.

The two meet a lot of interesting people on the trail. And a lot become close friends and hiking partners. And Trish's daughter Alex is an extraordinary person. Who would have thought a five year old could accomplish so much; I feel ashamed almost of my own experiences as a result. And it's made me resolve to do more with my life. Even the little daughter, Sage is pretty impressive with her exploits at three years old. And I especially liked the man in the kilt, Madriver, he seemed like quite the character.

The concept Trish had for her daughter is fantastic. Not a lot of mothers would think to do something like that. And I really admire the way she approaches parenting. She has some interesting ideas and while I normally don't like the way that people go on and on about their kids, she does it in such a delightful way that it's interesting. The whole book is very interesting actually. I haven't really heard of Peakbagging before but it seems like a worthy endeavor. And this book, while just sharing snippets of the actual climb, is paced so well that it was an easy quick read and very enjoyable.

I definitely liked this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys hiking. It's a very nice read that is full of a little adventure, and a lot of heart.

Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure
Copyright 2012
233 pages



No comments:

Post a Comment