April 16, 2014

People of the Weeping Eye by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear

So, despite this being the fifteenth book in the series, it is also part one of a two book saga.  So while you can read it as a stand alone, you'll have to read the book after it to know how it ends.  Which, considering this is probably the best book out of all of them I've read, isn't really a bad thing.  It gives me hope that the next book will be just as good.

Seeker has always been looking for something.  From a mysterious past, he has never stayed anywhere long, and now, having picked up a girl known as a mystical Contrary, he finds himself drawn home.  Along the way they'll meet up with a man known as Trader, who is from the same city as Seeker and also left without ever going back.  But he too has a fate in store for him that he must return for, and as the three journey back, they have little idea of what awaits them.  For a man bent on his own needs is stirring up trouble and a war is brewing.

So the evil people are always just too evil for words.  It's how it is in this book.  There aren't really shades of grey, just the good and the bad.  I didn't really care for Seeker too much.  If there's too much mystery and not enough explanation, I just lose interest.  Trader on the other hand I found interesting.  He had a mystery about him too, but more was told about him and it made you drawn to his story.  Two Petal, the contrary, I found amusing and she almost provided comedic relief.  Everyone else I could take or leave.  Sure their stories were somewhat important, but they weren't the main draw to the book for me.

There is a lot of violence and description of sex and rape in this book.  Granted, all of the books were like that, but for some reason it was just more noticeable in this one.  But it was realistic.  There is still a spiritual element to this book but I almost feel like it's been toned down a bit, that it's more understandable than it used to be.  Either everything is finally sinking in for me after reading all these books, or the authors are writing it a little better.  I also was amazed at how fast pace this book was despite it being rather long.  I was disappointed when I got to the end and discovered it wasn't "the end" and I would have to read the next book to find out what happened.  Of course that just means I'll be starting the next book right away.

One of the better ones of the series.  I would have to say that if you read any of these, it should be this one.  It's a lot more enjoyable than most of the others.

People of the Weeping Eye
Copyright 2008
419 pages


No comments:

Post a Comment